Its a wonder how people miss each other... they must be getting hit sometime or the other!! No... really, I mean it! From what I've been able to discern so far, here's some rules...
- Vehicles getting on the roundabout get a higher priority than those already on it.
- Vehicles traveling on a main road must stop and let those from the small intersections cross.
- When there are more than 1 lanes on the road, vehicles are allowed to move freely between them. And in fact, you score more points if you change lanes at least 8-10 times in 100 meters.
- If there is only 1 lane on the road, vehicles must travel on the divider line i.e. straddle both lanes.
- Horns are good for health. Everybody in India is very healthy.
- Only girls and sissies use brakes. It seems, we nobody falls within either category!
- If there's an accident, the drivers must greet each other with open threats and knuckledusters.
Thats a small list of the rules... I'll add more as I understand them.
Ok... so Day 1 was actually quite good, particularly when I wasn't on the road. Not only did I feel safe, I actually had a good time!
Deepak (Neeraj's brother) came to pick me up from the International airport and was kind enough to give me a lift to the domestic airport. Great guy! Wish I could spend some more time with him. The flight to Ahmedabad was uneventful. The drive from the airport to our house wasn't. I lost a few pounds sweating it out whilst sitting on the front seat of the car.
Met up with Bhatta, Ruchir & Nainesh. Spent some quality time chatting up on old times over a bottle of Glenmorangie Cellar 13 single malt whisky. That gone, we had some absolutely fabulous kebabs at Khyber (Fortune Hotel's Kebab restaurant) and topped a side splitting dinner with a chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream dessert. Suffice to say, I contemplated going for a jog in the middle of the night to make room for the food... thankfully, I didn't. Ahmedabad wasn't ready for another earthquake.
Came home late... rolled upstairs into bed and snored away happily. Rekha wasn't too happy though. Snoring and marriage don't go too well apparently. Anyway... tomorrow's another day.
2 comments:
Welcome to India Sir! I am sure you will have lot of write about things changed over the past 3 years since you have been there.
Ahmedabad traffic is not half as bad as in Bangalore. Ahmedabad traffic is actually heaven for me. Come to B'lore and you will see what traffic actually mean.
Anyway, thanx for the great whisky. Enjoyed the evening a lot.
Post a Comment